If you like what I am doing please click here to donate to my chosen charity.
Total Distance: 6 Miles Highest Point: 366 Feet Total Realistic Time: ~3 Hours
The Tolkien Trail is a 6 mile trail located near Clitheroe, Lancashire, England. It features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is used for hiking, walking and running.
Parking at ABC Memorial Hall at Hurst Green, there is a donation box to help support the up keep of the facilities. There are public toilets available on the opposite side of the road to the Shireburn Arms Hotel.
We found out there is also parking behind the Shireburn Arms Hotel too, which is free.
The Tolkien Trail
We headed towards Stonyhurst College.
The Stonyhurst College behind the observatory was the college that T.R. Tolkien attended.
The route was a mixture of grass, muddy fields with many cows and stony paths heading into the woods towards the River Hodder.
Some lovely scenes along the way.
The end of the trail takes you to the Shireburn Arms Hotel.
A short walk ending with a beautiful view with a plate of chips and a coffee at the Shireburn Arms Hotel. The establishment is also dog friendly.
- Apple iPhone XS (for use of OS apps for lazy mapping and photos/videos)
- OS Maps app (premium version – I use for following the route)
- Comfy walking shoes (most important)
- Extra socks (keep the feet happy when needed)
- Waterproof Jacket (always a must, the weather changes alot in the hills/mountains)
- Long sleeve and/or short sleeve (for layering)
- Neck scarf (extra warmth and protection if needed)
- Woolly hat (keep your head and particularly my ears warm)
- Gloves (if scrambling is required)
- 2 litres of water
- Flask with Hot drink (a good cuppa is always welcome)
- ibuprofen (helping hand if you have any aches and pains)
- Food and snacks (fuel to keep you going)